Howto join us
We exchange idea´s about Win32Forth at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/win32forth
Join us by subscribing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a CVS at http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32forth
A CVS (Concurrent Versions System) is a tool used by many
software developers to manage changes within their source code
tree. Our CVS contains the newest developver release of
The program TortoiseCVS is used to upload (commit) and download
(update on your harddisk) the CVS.
Here is how you can join us at the CVS to improve
- You must be a developer on the Win32Forth project.
To become a developer:
- you must create an account at sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/account/newuser_emailverify.php
- request to be a developer to one of the current project
administrators. or mail us at email@example.com
- Get puttygen for Windows, if you haven't got it already,
because you need to generate a public and a private key
for SSH (secure shell) use. Download it from here: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/puttygen.exe
Run it and create a key; I used an SSH2 RSA 1024 key.
Follow the instructions for saving the keys on your local
- Update SF and tell it about your SSH keys.
Login using SSL to www.sourceforge.net
(top left), then click on the "My SF.NET" tab
on the top line. You should get "Personal Page For:
Click on "Account
Options" underneath the tabs, and then scroll all
the way down to the bottom.
Click on "Edit SSH Keys for Shell/CVS", then
copy and paste your PUBLIC KEY (not your private key!)
into the text box, and
Wait 5 hours. Seriously!
- Now you must get and run pageant.exe from here;
and add your PRIVATE KEY (not your public key!).
You may want to start pageant every time your PC boots;
add it into your startup folder.
- Download and install TortoiseCVS from http://www.tortoisecvs.org
Getting CVS set up and working is quite easy. You need to
follow these steps (note that you can install to any
directory you want; I am just using
"D:\WIN32FORTH" as an example
1. Get Tortoise CVS at http://www.tortoisecvs.org/ and
2. Create the D:\WIN32FORTH directory (or whatever dir
you want to install to)
3. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the parent of that
directory (D:\) and right-click
4. You should see an item CVS Checkout on the context
menu... select it
5. Fill in the form with appropriate values.
The "appropriate values" are:
Protocol: Secure shell (:ext:)
Repository folder: /cvsroot/win32forth/
User name: yourusername
So the CVSROOT: is:ext:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/win32forth
Press OK. Now you will be able to use the CVS system.
Fine --- so how do I use the system? Also
1.Right-click inside the D:\WIN32FORTH directory (using
Explorer) and select CVS Update when prompted for a
password, say "yourpassword"
2.Make your edits are on your machine and you are using
the newest version.
3.When done with your edits, just right-click in the
directory and say CVS Commit
- Subsribe to Win32forthemail@example.com
at : https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/win32forth-cvs
to monitor the newest changes in the CVS.
Download CVS instructions anonymous:
Run TortoiseCVS. The CVSROOT: is:
The module name is: win32forth
Note: is also possible to use: ext:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/win32forth
Updating our homepage at http://win32forth.sourceforge.net
When you are a developer you can update it. Be sure you are able
to use your SSH key at sourceforge.
See the first 4 steps of the chapter: Here
is how you can join us at the CVS to improve Win32Forth
We like to be informed about new developments, so there is a copy
of http://win32forth.sourceforge.net in the CVS.
First Checkout TortoiseCVS with a new module:
- Create a new directory on your PC EG: c:\win32for4web
- Click right on c:\win32for4web
- Choose CVS Checkout...
- The module name is: win32for4web
Note: The CVSROOT is still: ext:email@example.com:/cvsroot/win32forth/
- Press OK. Now you will be able to use the CVS system.
When the operation is succesfull the new module will be
seen under the Previous CVSROOTS in TortoiseCVS.
- Download and install WinSCP from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
- Create a new session:
- The Hostname is: web.sourceforge.net
- Port number: 22
- Private Key file: Your private_key.pkk file
- Use a "combined" username. These take the form
- Protocol: SFTP
- The path to our home page content is:
Note after loggin in with the WinSCP you can change ANY
other unprotected homepage at SF, too.
So make shure that you only change the files in the
home/groups/w/wi/win32forth/htdocs/ directory !
With <CTRL+B> you can add a bookmark to
Please check the rights of the uploaded or
changed files and folders.
Make sure we That the group win32for is able to overwrite
it! ( rwxrwxr-x )
It is important that the CVS and http://win32forth.sourceforge.net
have the same content.
1. Make your changes and upload them to the CVS using TortoiseCVS
2. Upload your changed files to the webspace using WinSCP.
Feel free to contribute Win32Forth related material.
Back to the index of
theWin32Forth Project Group.
Last Change: 02/11/10